Housing Program Wait List CLOSED
Please note: As of August 2020 our housing wait list is CLOSED. We will not be accepting new applicants for further notice.
Housing counseling on a variety of housing issues
Offered through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), this program provides eligible consumers with education on housing stability and independent living skills. Additionally, the Housing Counseling program provides individual and group counseling to people who need information on fair housing, financial management, and landlord/tenant rights.
Who is Eligible?
The Housing Counseling program is open to individual applicants and families who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- The applicant or their a family member has a verifiable disability
- The applicant or their family member has verifiable income and can present proof of income via a check stub, Social Security award letter, or other document
- The applicant or their family member lives in Chicago and can show proof of address
Eligibility verified. What now?
Those who meet all of the eligibility requirements can apply for the program.
- Applications may be submitted online or, if in person, from 9 a.m. to noon any Friday at Access Living. A housing counselor is available during those hours to help with the application process if necessary.
- Applicants should include a current phone number so they can receive updates.
- All applicants are then placed on a waiting list.
- An Access Living team member will contact applicants when their applications are being processed.
- Applicants eventually will receive a letter by mail with appointment information to come in to Access Living to meet with a housing counselor. This letter will also include details about our housing workshops.
- All program participants are required to do 12 hours of coursework to complete the program.
Applicants and participants should contact Access Living to update their phone numbers and/or mailing addresses if they change.