We are facing threats to disability benefits under Social Security
Dear Access Living friends and allies,
The Trump administration has proposed that Social Security disability recipients be re-evaluated every two years to determine if they still qualify for benefits. This is a terrible move. It is tremendously difficult to get approved for disability benefits under Social Security; the vast majority of persons don’t get approved the first time. Mandating reviews every two years would put huge strain on the system.
The potential consequences:
- Losing $2.6 billion from the disability safety net over the next decade
- An increase in wait times for reviews and approvals
- An increase in erroneous termination of benefits
- An increase in the number of people without legal representation
- Forcing people with disabilities to complete a time consuming and stressful process every two years
- Increasing administrative costs by $1.8 billion over 10 years
How to fight back
We need your help. The Social Security Administration needs to hear from disability advocates about why this proposed change would be needlessly burdensome.
- Submit a letter to the Social Security Administration asking them not to go ahead with this rule.
- Alert your friends and family and ask them to take action on behalf of our community.
SUBMIT ALL LETTERS BY JANUARY 31! Millions of lives depend on stable access to Social Security disability benefits.