Our Illinois state legislators are RIGHT NOW trying to figure out the state’s budget for next year. They say everyone’s gonna get hit, but no one has the final numbers. While they’re still figuring it out, that means it’s time for us to speak up!
Many legislators are still working to understand why we are fight so hard against budget cuts to services for people with disabilities. This week, your legislators are working from their home offices. Please give them a call and ask them to stop budget cuts to services that support people with disabilities. Look up your Illinois State Senator and Representative at http://www.elections.il.gov/districtlocator/districtofficialsearchbyaddress.aspx. (check out related links for direct link to site) Here’s what you can tell them:
• Tell them your name and where you live, and why you have a connection to the disability community
• Let them know that you feel budget cuts to services for people with disabilities are NOT ACCEPTABLE
• Centers for Independent Living are facing a 36% cut in their funds from the state
• Programs that support people trying to escape from nursing facilities and institutions, like the Community Reintegration Program, are being cut
• Home services are facing service parameters---they want to try to serve fewer people on fewer hours of home services---this means PAs lose jobs too
• Poor people with disabilities depend on support from Illinois Care Rx and Circuit Breaker---these programs should not be cut
• Mental health, developmental disabilities and substance abuse programs also face major cuts---the DD activists are making lots of calls today according to the Arc of Illinois.
Many of our friends in the various disability fields are making calls today too, so let’s join them in solidarity! Also, you can call up the office of Governor Quinn and let the Governor know your concerns too. His Chicago number is 312 814 2121 and his Springfield number is 217 782 6830 (put it in your cell phone address book!). Even if you just leave a message, they still have to record it and keep track of everyone who is calling in.
Please help spread the word and make your calls today!