Position: Personal Assistant Training Coordinator
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of Access Living’s Personal Assistance (PA) program to support the independent living skills of people with disabilities. Responsibilities include training individuals to become a Personal Assistants (PAs), provide referrals to consumers who seek to employ PAs and assisting people with disabilities to improve their management of PAs. This position is also responsible for maintaining a pool of qualified available PAs to support the independence of people with disabilities.
- Provide PA counseling, referrals, and follow-up for consumers with disabilities who utilize PA services
- Provide PA management trainings when requested by consumers
- Recruit individuals to become PAs
- Coordinate PA trainings and maintain updated PA registry
- Conduct consumer intake and assist consumers in formulation of Independent Living Plan
- Maintain records of program participants, workshop/seminar evaluations and other pertinent data needed for reporting
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports when necessary
- Maintain confidentially through appropriate client file maintenance
- Attend quarterly PA Coordinator Group meetings
- Facilitate consumer advocacy on PA issues
- Be knowledgeable about and keep up to date with changes in the DRS Home Services Program
- Act as spokesperson for AL regarding PA services
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Bachelor of Arts and excellent computer skills required.
- Experience (personal or professional) working with people with disabilities (as peers).
- Analytical, problem solving, networking, and knowledge of skill-building techniques.
- Strong communication skills so to connect with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- An understanding of equal opportunity within a social justice framework.
- Knowledge of disability civil rights laws (ADA, 504, and IDEA), and familiarity with the disability rights movement and/or independent living movement is preferred but not required.
Experience working with people with disabilities, experiencing utilizing services of a PA, understanding of independent living philosophy, and experience with the Department of Rehabilitation Services Home Services Program is preferred.
Bilingual/Spanish Speaker Preferred
Local travel around Chicago. Personal vehicle preferred.
Computers, copier, and other office equipment, databases, Google Docs, and software experience.
Manager of Community Supports
People with disabilities, members of other oppressed communities, and those with personal experience with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and résumé email@example.com