CLIHTF Frequently Asked Questions


Property Manager Frequently Asked Questions

Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund

Thanks so much for your interest in The Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund Rental Subsidy Program. We are so glad that you are interested in joining us in our mission to meet the permanent housing needs of Chicago’s low-income residents.

Below you will find a list of commonly asked questions and their answers, and links to more information along the left hand side of this page.

Interested in being part of the program? Fill out this form!

Property Manager Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is there a list of Trust Fund subsidized properties that might have vacancies?
A. Yes, the most recent list may be found on the quarterly report page. Please click the most recent report.

Q. Are the subsidies property-based, or may a tenant take a subsidy with them when they move?
A. The subsidies are property-based. The Trust Fund signs a contract with the landlord, and the subsidies are deposited directly into the landlord’s account or given to the landlord as a quarterly check. A tenant may not take the subsidy with them when they move, except in very limited circumstances.

Q. What are the limited circumstances under which a tenant might take a subsidy with them when they move?
A. The tenant may only take the subsidy with them if they move if the landlord has stopped receiving Trust Fund subsidies for that tenant’s unit. This typically only occusr when the Trust Fund is either temporarily or permanently ending its relationship with the landlord.  A tenant may never move while retaining the benefit of a subsidy unless they have received a letter from the Trust Fund expressly allowing them to do so, and to be eligible for such, the tenant must be in good standing on their current lease.

Q. What are a tenant’s options if the landlord chooses not to renew the tenant’s lease?
A. Unless the Trust Fund is ending its relationship with that landlord, the tenant may not take a subsidy with them under these circumstances. The tenant may, however, find a different, vacant, Trust Fund subsidized unit anywhere in the City, and apply directly to that unit’s landlord for a new tenancy. Please note that acceptance by a past landlord does not guarantee acceptance by a future landlord. Each landlord has the right to employ his/her own selection criteria, so long as the landlord is in compliance with the law.

Q. Do I, as a landlord, have to fill out the lead-safe disclosure form every year, even if my building was built after 1978?
A. Yes.

Q. How often do I, as a landlord, need to send in tenant income certifications?
A. You must send in tenant income certifications every year when you renew your contract, every time a new tenant applies for a vacant unit, and every time a tenant’s household size or income changes. For tenants who are applying for a Trust Fund subsidized unit, we strongly encourage you to send in the income certification and other relevant information prior to signing a lease with the tenant; the Trust Fund will not subsidize units where the tenant is not income qualified.

Q. What should I do if my tenant is over the income restrictions when they report their income?
A. You should tell the Trust Fund immediately. The tenant will not be required to move; you will typically (unless the increase in income is very dramatic) still be eligible to receive 50% of the prior subsidy amount for that tenant for a period of one year, and the tenant would be expected to pay the remaining balance of the rent.

Q. How many total Trust Fund subsidized units may I have in my building?
A. The Trust Fund may only subsidize up to 30% of the units in any one building, unless that building is 6 or fewer units in size. In these circumstances, the Trust Fund is allowed to subsidize all of the units.

Q. Why do I have to fill out a payment request every quarter to get paid?
A. Residents sometimes move in and out frequently, so a completion of the Payment/Voucher Reimbursement Request ensures that payments are made accurately for the appropriate subsidized unit(s).

Q. When are the units inspected for Home Quality Standards (HQS)?
A. The inspection for existing landlords is annual or once a year. The Trust Fund tries to keep your inspection date during the same month every year. For new landlords the first inspection will conducted at the time of entry into the RSP program, then annually after that

Q. Where would I find city violations for my current property?
A. You can find that information here.