Position: Staff Accountant
Perform the basic functions of grant billings/vouchers, cash receipts, reconciliations, fixed assets and leasehold improvement schedule, Investment Summary and assisting in monthly financial closing.
Handles sensitive and confidential information on a daily basis;
- Prepares vouchers for each grant on its specific billing period, i.e., monthly, quarterly, bi-annually or annually for both government and private grants and contracts;
- Obtain appropriate signatures for billings/voucher submission, copy for file, file in appropriate grant folder and send to funder;
- Provide funder with requested information as requested;
- Maintain a current listing of grants, contract #’s amount of grant and funder contact;
- Maintain and provide to staff a current listing of staff’s funding %’s;
- Maintains all grant files, with contract, financial and program information;
- Maintains an aging chart for all grant receivables, updating it monthly in time for the Finance Committee meetings;
- Provides Controller with information in a timely manner (Keep current grant requirements on when last revisions for each grant will be accepted) on needed revisions, modifications, and/or amendments to enable Access Living to draw down all available funds;
- Reconcile prepaid accounts
- Reconcile receivable accounts
- Reconcile accrual and liabilities accounts
- Reconcile employee advance reimbursements
- Reconcile and audit volunteer petty cash
- Reconcile other balance sheet accounts
- Prepare and enter into ledger the payroll information for the current month;
- Prepare Investment Summary report and enter into the ledger the investment activity for the month;
- Enter cash receipt activity into the ledger for monthly closing;
- Prepare and enter the monthly fixed assets and leasehold improvement data;
- Prepare journal entries and the summary for each grant for the monthly closing;
- Maintain the monthly financial records;
- Maintain all bank account records, keeping resolution and signature card information in current records at all times;
- Maintain all cash receipts records and tie to Development records, including correct coding;
Cross Departmental Activity:
- Work with program staffs to reconcile program related income and expenses
- Work with development staffs to reconcile revenue and receivables
- Maintain the fixed asset and leasehold improvements file/binder;
- Ensure the physical inventory which is performed by appropriate staff before audit is included in a section of the fixed asset binder;
- Maintain all other documents related to Access Living financial records
- Prepare schedules in preparation for the audit;
- Prepare functional expense including the percentages from fiscal year budget;
- Assist in the preparation of the grant/contract confirmation letters;
- Prepare all records for auditors;
- Assist Controller in other audit preparation as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s in accounting or finance-related field required. Knowledge of Excel or other spreadsheet required. Microsoft and Accounting database knowledge preferred.
At least three years of computerized financial and spreadsheet experience preferred. Ability to work remotely wherever computers are available.
Computers, printers, copier, calculator
Work is performed at Access Living’s headquarters in the River North area of Chicago. Headquarters is a shared office space with cubicles. During COVID-19 pandemic Access Living staff members are working remotely.
Offer of position contingent on clearance of state criminial background check
$49,000 – $55,000 annual salary
How to Apply:
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.