Careers at Access Living
Position: Independent Living Technology Coordinator
- Starting Salary: $50,000-$55,000
- Hybrid work environment – In office two days per week, three remote, with flexible bank of additional remote work days to use throughout the year as desired.
People with disabilities face a lack of access to digital connectivity at a higher rate than those without disabilities. The Technology Program at Access Livings assists individuals with disabilities in the Chicagoland area by teaching them how to use an iPad or laptop, making the device accessible for them, teaching them how to use the accessible options, and providing them with a device if they qualify. The Technology Coordinator will assist in the goal of closing the digital divide by supporting the independence of disabled people through the connection to technology. The coordinator will facilitate introductory technology courses and 1:1 support to increase access to employment opportunities, healthcare, online application processes, technological accommodations, and other services.
- Facilitate a 7 to 8 week technology introduction course that covers the following topics: introductory computer and tablet skill building and safety procedure training course that covers the following topics:
- Introduction to the course-expectations and goal setting
- Introductory computer and tablet skills
- Safety procedure training
- Basic computer or iPad skills
- Setting-up and using an email account
- Staying safe on the internet and email fraud
- Exploring the internet
- How to use online communication platforms (Zoom)
- As needed-how to use accessibility features on devices
- Create and modify technology lessons to help consumers meet their independent living technology goal.
- Support consumers by: providing weekly walk-in hours, meeting with consumers 1:1, and facilitating a monthly advanced training session covering topics identified by consumers.
- Assist consumers in gaining self-confidence in utilizing technology devices up to and including, computers, tablets, laptops or cellular devices
- Work with consumers to tailor their technological goals to their specifics needs such as:
- General personal email set-up and access
- Job search and employment applications
- Health-related access
- Benefits access
- Housing searches
- Device accessibility features
- Create and maintain relationships with organizations and tech partners to ensure a holistic program that meets the needs of individuals with disabilities being served.
- Outreach to recruit Chicagoans with disabilities for the program who are unable to attain digital access
- Stay abreast of digital products and programs that can help people with disabilities
- Attend economic justice coalition meetings and provide input on economic justice policy initiatives
- Identify and oversee peer support staff that will assist during technology program sessions and walk-in hours.
- Report to the Senior Manager of the IL Department, to ensure identified benchmarks, outcomes and all grant deliverables are met
- Conduct program evaluations.
- Maintain database systems and prepare reports to document enrollment, engagement, and success of the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Training:
Candidate should have previous training, facilitator, or teaching experience. Candidate should have knowledge on how to use a laptop/iPad/smart phone and should be able to teach others how to use those devices. The employee will have an understanding of issues that affect people with disabilities. Good communication and organizational skills needed. Experience with assistive technology tools to help evaluate consumer needs. Fluent Spanish speaker highly preferred.
Staff must be able to travel within the City of Chicago.
Computer, iPads, telephone, copier, printer, and use of adaptive/assistive technology for computers, phones, iPads, copiers and printers.
Access Living shared office space, open plan seating with COVID-19 prevention parameters. Access Living staff work at least two days per week in the office. Other days can be remote/from home.
No affiliations are required.
Senior Manager, Katherine Blank
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume – Attn: Katie Blank, Senior Manager: email@example.com.
People with lived experience of disability encouraged to apply. People of color and those from multiply marginalized backgrounds especially encouraged to apply.