Position: Assistive Technology/Community Supports Coordinator
Access Living seeks a full-time employee to serve as an Assistive Devices/ Community Supports Coordinator. The Coordinator will be responsible for introducing up to 200 individuals with disabilities to personal empowerment.
- Identify and recommend methods to increase independence of consumers, specifically review the consumers’ needs for daily living aids and when applicable the need for other services to be provided by the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities.
- Assess consumers for low-tech assistive technology and other services that will allow them to direct their life in the own home. Following the assessment, staff is responsible for ordering, assembly, testing, and delivery of the assistive devices.
- Overall, see that the consumer conducts her/his own life as independently as possible.
- Assess consumers for low-cost assistive technology and other services that will allow them to direct their life in their own home. Staff must consider the supports and services already in place when making the assessments. Following the assessment, staff is responsible for ordering, assembly, testing, and delivery of the assistive technology to the consumer’s home.
- Identify and recommend methods to increase independence of consumers, specifically review the consumers’ need for daily living aids and when applicable the need for other services to be provided by the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities.
- Advocate and empower consumer in their transition and to model advocacy skills. Staff must always encourage the consumer to advocate on her/his own behalf (meaning with supports) whenever possible.
- Refer consumers to the Independent Living Skills programs and other staff who would assist the consumer to achieve her/his goals.
- Order, assemble, test, and deliver assistive devices to MOPD consumers.
- Keep track of orders through Amazon and deliveries and document them properly.
- Ensure all deadlines and outcomes are met, including follow up calls 30 days after delivery.
- Serves as a back-up for Community Support Coordinator staff, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Training:
Preference will be given to candidates with experience and/or degrees in the fields of occupational therapy, assistive technology, social work, and related fields. Bachelor of Arts or Science is required and experience in service of people with disabilities is desirable. Experience in evaluating individuals with disabilities for assistive devices and independent living skills training is highly sought.
Employee should have basic knowledge of disability and experience in the fields of independent living, disability rights and self-determination movements, occupational therapy, assistive technology. Good communication skills needed. Good computer skills are required.
Staff must be able to travel to conduct home visits and assistive technology deliveries within the City of Chicago. Staff must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., use tools, and assemble assistive devices.
Computer, telephone, fax machine, copier, printer, and other office equipment.
Office area is a shared workspace divided by cubicles. Verbal communication can be heard from other staff in adjoining cubicles. While the office is closed due to COVID-19, Access Living employees are working remotely.
Manager of Community Supports
Car and valid driver’s license are required. Offer of the position will be contingent on clearance of state criminal background check.
$39,000.00 – $43,500.00
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Careers@accessliving.org.