Position Title: Public Relations Coordinator
We are looking for a Public Relations Coordinator who is a strong writer and proofreader and is passionate about disability issues. We have blog posts, email communications, press releases, webpages, and more that need engaging content that is updated regularly. This position will be in charge of creating content for multiple channels and audiences, so we need someone who can work independently, accept accountability, prioritize tasks, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Serve as one of Access Living’s primary staff writers -- writing, editing and proofing original content for internal and external audiences.
- Work with the Director of Communications to create consistent, effective brand guidelines for Access Living’s outreach and messaging materials and help to implement them.
- Assist with the overall development, production and distribution of Access Living print and digital marketing campaigns and materials including direct mail, email, flyers, brochures, and marketing collateral for in-person events.
- Assist in the writing and production of the annual report and fundraising marketing materials as directed by the Director of Communications.
- Assist with identifying media opportunities and maintaining press/media contacts.
- Draft talking points, press releases, and organizational statements as directed by the Director of Communications.
- Pitch events, engagements, and stories to the media as directed by the Director of Communications.
- Assist in launching and running an on-going speaker development/media training program for Access Living staff and consumers.
- Retain an archive of news coverage and keep media contact lists up to date.
- Keep Access Living’s online newsroom up to date.
- Create and maintain database of high-resolution images and videos.
- Work with the Digital Engagement Specialist to take photos and videos or arrange for photos or videos to be taken as needed.
- Assist with website updates and support Access Living’s social media strategy coordinated by the Digital Engagement Specialist.
- Co-facilitate an organization-wide bi-weekly content meeting with the Digital Engagement Specialist.
- Assist in planning and running press conferences.
- Oversee internal and external outreach event management and planning from concept to execution.
- Make sure event concept and print materials are on message.
- Coordinate with vendors.
- Create event PR materials as needed including Facebook events.
- Coordinate, supervise and train event volunteers with disabilities.
- Update events calendar on the Access Living website, including all outreach events Access Living attends, external meetings held at Access Living, upcoming advocacy trips, and special events.
- Ensure content has a cross disability, intersectional perspective and lens.
Provide support to the Director of Communications as needed, and take on other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates should have a majority of the following qualifications:
- Success in communications and outreach (writing and press coverage samples required)
- Excellent communicator and presenter, creative thinker and team player
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Strong interest in the organization's mission
- Strong desktop design and publishing skills
- Experience managing website content
- Experience planning and implementing events and working with volunteers
- 2-4 years of relevant on-the-job experience, degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, preferred
Computers, copier, online data web applications, social media applications, Constant Contact, WordPress, MS Office suite, Adobe Creative Suite and software experience, including power point and design, required.
Travel mainly within Cook County. People with disabilities, members of other minority communities, and those with personal experience with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Access Living offers excellent benefits, vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
People with lived experience of disability strongly encouraged to apply.
$42,000 to $47,000 Annually.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, writing samples and media clips to: email@example.com
115 W. Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60654
fax : 312-787-3866